I Am My Mother's Keeper

According to Oxford Dictionary, the word keeper is defined as a person who manages or looks after someone or something. Keeper is a kind of defender, protector, guardian. 

My mother has always been my keeper, defending and protecting me. I had a brain tumor removed when I was 9 years old, and a tumor removed from my leg when I was 19. I struggled academically after my brain tumor, but she never gave up on me, she kept pushing me to always do my best and not give up. She is the reason I made it through high school, always making sure the teachers were doing their part to help me do what I was supposed to be doing, and helping me meet my goals.

I am My Mother's Keeper, because it is my turn to look after her! She was diagnosed with Stage 4 Diffuse Large B-Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, in December 2012.

This will be a place for me to share my thoughts and feelings during my mom's journey with the big "C" word.  Cancer is a scary word for me because of my personal experience. So when I found out about my mom's diagnosis all I could do was write. I love writing, it is like a drug for me, calming. 

My love for writing, and the need for a place to share the things my mom is facing, brought me to the idea of a blog. I hope you enjoy the story!  

Comments

  1. Ashlei, your words melted my heart they are beautifully written. Thanks for sharing this journey with us. We love your mom and our prayers are with her.
    Love Aunt Marianne and fam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aunt Marianne! Love you lots!
      Ashlei

      Delete
  2. Ashlei, I love you all so much and am glad to have somewhere to follow everything that your family is going through. We may not see each other very much but you are always in my thoughts! Your mom was like another mom to me when we were little and I think the world of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means so much to hear from you! I am glad that i am able to share this with you, and that you read it! Lots of love!
      Ashlei

      Delete
  3. Ashlei,
    though far away I live from you I always think of you and your family and check in to see how everything is going. I am glad you have a healthy outlet in wriitng. I love your mom so much! I love your family! My prayers are constantly with you. You are your mom's hero now. God Bless!!
    love, Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karena, you are such a wonderful friend! It means more to us then you will ever know! Lot's of love!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts