Going Hairless

On Thursday, January 24, I received a phone call in the evening from mom. "My hair is coming out, I touch it and it falls out." She seemed pretty calm given the circumstances, I was not sure how to respond. I asked her how bad it was, if she had bald spots. She said that it was coming out easy but she did not have bald spots yet, at least not that she could see. I asked her if she was doing okay, she seemed a little shaken, but she told me she was okay. It was bothering her a little, but not as bad as she thought it would. I told her to stop touching her hair, that I would see her tomorrow and we would figure out what to do.

When mom arrived to my house I could see that her hair had thinned a lot, so I could only imagine how much she had lost. She has really thick hair. Not sure how I felt about the whole thing, I gave her a hug and told her she looked fine. Mom had ordered a wig so we went to pick it up. The wig looked very good on her. She asked if I would shave her hair for her because she could not stand having the hair all over her, it looked like a cat had been sitting on her. Of course I wanted to be the one who shaved her head, I did not want anyone else to do it for her. I know it sounds weird, but I wanted to be the one who did that for her, experience it with her.

My younger sister was there to take pictures of the event. It was not as hard for me, or mom, as I thought it would be. She looks good bald, she has the right face for it. I teased her and told her she looked like her brother, she laughed.

I am glad that she has passed that milestone, one more hurdle jumped. And I am happy that it was not a traumatic experience for her. At least she won't have to shave all the time now, right?!  

Comments

  1. I am so glad that you are keeping a blog. What a great way to share your journey and keep us all updated. You are a beautiful writer. I wish I had inherited that gene. Thanks for sharing. Your mom and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenni, I am glad you enjoy it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts